Shadowrun Pub

• April 23, 2024, 12:39:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New security Detail.  (Read 13399 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:New security Detail.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »

Yeah... wouldn't there be a distinct advantage to NOT having a wireless matrix com?
link?

I mean, I like my cell phone as much as the next guy, as long as the next guy doesn't want it shoved up his hoop, either.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 05:45:01 AM »

Advantages, probably, but who would really look at those advantages when set against current society. I mean, growing your own vegetables has its advantages, but we still usually get them from the grocery store.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 07:58:47 PM »

Of course, but as I've said before, any two-cred trid pirate could just broad-spectrum jam all the signals around and your entire wireless infrastructure falls apart.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:38 AM »

That's assuming a two-cred video pirate has the hardware to do that to a military-grade drone. I'm thinking that the example is the equivilent of a gnager taking on a Siouxe Wildcat and beating him. Sure, it is technically possible, but it's so damn unlikely that no one would ever plan for it.

Gabriel

PS - Ok, maybe that is a bit of an exageration, but not as much as one would think.
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »

Well, assuming that the Matrix-type counterpart of Augmented Reality, the wireless network, would be susceptible to jamming solely due to the fact that it relies on radio signals. Fiber-optics can't be jammed, making them infinitely more reliable.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 06:56:15 AM »

And that is why I think the whole Wireless Matrix Initiative was a bad idea. Get enough signal degredation and who the hell knows what could happen. Think about it, you walk down the street and get an e-mail from your stock broker with some important financial information. You happen to pass under some powerlines, and all of a sudden, you have 2 million shares in ACME Spoon Company. No, I'll take a jack-point and fiber-optic cable any day.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »

Seems like maser-grids were the way of the future...

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »

Actually; even the most basic wireless protocals use the same error-checking packet system that the wired lines work with. so if your information packets get corrupted, or go missing, they'll show up as crap, and the receving end will re-ask for that particular packet.

just, so you know.

-RuskiFace
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 08:10:15 AM »

Yeah, but if you've got someone providing consistent jamming your network grinds to a halt, a nasty thing considering the availability and portability of jamming devices in the Sixth world.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

Well, just kuz some jerk has a white noise generator; dosn't mean you can't trade stocks in central park. you just gotta move away from them. it's like talking on a cellphone while driving. wierd weather, driving through a tunnel, or some desolate zone with no coverage, and the signal rate drops down. if you want really realiable connections, you can get built in boosters and static reducing algorithems, or LOS satalite uplink capabilities added in.  

-RuskiFace the Pirate Gotta Pay to Play
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »

Yeah, frag all that drek, give me back my damn fiberoptic link, dammit!

Gabriel, Old-School Elf

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 10:57:22 AM »

Well, you could always go to a payphone, and use a land line to link up.

but truth be known, land lines aren't what they use to be. it costs about $2 million dollars to install a high-speed jackpoint at any given location, you gotta tear up the walk, run power, install switches, etc, etc etc,. more and more, people are just paying 1.5 million for a self sustaining station. a solar powered satalite uplink point that's got a battery backup, and a secure encription path to a deticated geosync satalite. all they need is LOS to a satalite in the eastern sky, or failing that, LOS to another jackpoint set up as relay.

even land lines aren't in the land any more.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 07:30:38 AM »

Ah.... I remember how simple it used to be back in 2050.... :'(

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »

Eh, I like the tendency of Maser grids to fry Otaku brains. Speed AND security!

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »

never did like that whole "otaku" thing.

Gabriel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7350 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.