Shadowrun Pub

• May 03, 2024, 08:13:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New security Detail.  (Read 13454 times)

Retread

• Runner
Re:New security Detail.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 06:28:02 PM »

Aye!
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 06:20:22 AM »

Personally, I thnk the idea of Otaku and technomancy is just stupid. So many reasonsn this just doesn't work.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2006, 08:32:08 AM »

Like I said before, Otaku and Technomancers are magical, just magical on a wholly artificial form of Astral Space created by man.

You don't say, "Astral Projection is totally unrealistic and stupid" because it's magic. Well, that's what this is, magic that magicians can't understand.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »

Still no cases of anyone picking up bouth skills is there?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »

Actually, the reason I don't like this drek is because canon states that it is NOT magic, and yet ignores all of the cybernetic implants you would need to access the matirx. If people can just get to the point where they can "see" cyberspace, then why have cybernetics and computers in the first place???

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »

It's because of the intrinisic difference between nature and man. Man created cyberware and the Matrix, so they don't affect their interaction of a psychosomatically created ability, like the Otaku or Technomancers. They aren't necessarily "magical" because Astral space is a reflection of nature  manipulated by man's thought. The Matrix and AR are the opposite: Thoughts given form through manipulation of natural phenomenon.

However, if reading through Canon has taught me one thing, is that the true magic inside the "soul" of man is it's ability to give Names. Once you give something a Name, you've inexorably linked that Name to Definition, and all living things have the ability to manipulate Definition. The manipulation of Astral Space and mana are not necessarily the highest forms of Magic, but rather the highest form of Magic is to attribute power to a Name through events and karma. For example, at first the Dunklezahn Rift was unstable but, as people grew accustomed to it, giving it a Name (The Dunklezahn Rift) it became more stable as it's nature was fleshed out. The same applies Somatic Links in Ritual Sorcery, close personal attachment to a Named object, gives it Definition and in that Definition is a pointer that links to the Namer of that Object and the person/thing that gave it Definition.

How does this apply to the Matrix, you ask? By nature, calling the Matrix, the Matrix, gives it a Definition, and so makes the Matrix a Named thing, even if it only exists metaphorically. The Otaku and Technomancers, especially the young ones, are too young and the Matrix begins to Define them, giving them an inexorable link to it and the ability to manipulate it. However, as the Otaku grow, they find that the Definition of the Matrix diverges from the one they've made for themselves by growing up and so they Fade. The Technomancers trapped inside the Matrix were essentially separated from their body and became the Matrix, momentarily assuming the Definition of the Matrix itself, and so, developed the ability to manipulate it without being "in contact" with it.

Otaku are not Magical in the Sense of being able to manipulate Mana but rather they are somatically linked to the Matrix (essentially an artificial Metaplane) just as a mercenary is somatically linked to his favorite gun, or a rigger his favorite vehicle. These connections are not one-way, and if given the ability, the Named objects can affect the Otaku, mercenary, or rigger. A prime example of this is when the Matrix spawns an intelligence, be it an AI or  Free Daemon, and can then create it's own Otaku.

Perhaps, if anyone had considered this, one would know that the greatest way to destroy an AI that creates Otaku is to "ritually attack" the AI through its link with its own Otaku.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 08:20:20 AM »

So, when will the power of the matrix start to 'bleed' over to the astral plane?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »

In a "realistic" timeline, probably several hundred years as the mana level of Earth slowly increases and creates more bridges bewteen thought/action/mana/the world. In a "game" timeline, probably about 5 to 10 years as FP runs out of ideas and is foraced to pull more crap out of its collective hoop. It will probably happen when all evles are revealed to be immortals and the orcs form a nation of their own and declare wat on the Tir's.

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 10:17:45 AM »

I thought that it wasn't just elves that could unlock the imortal geane...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 01:45:01 PM »

Ah who knows. I always hated that damn immortal elf concept. And this is an ELF telling you that.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »

Yes, anyone can become immortal. The gene is an inherent characteristic of bonding with the True Pattern of the Earth. Not an easy thing to do, mind you.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2006, 06:17:48 AM »

:::grumble grumble grumble:::

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2006, 08:06:12 AM »

but you hear that gabe? it's hard. so like. only the elves can do it. because they are magical.

-RuskiFace the pIrate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »

Oh for Ghost's sake!!!! You damn breeders are so gulible!!! If it's written down in a Tolkien novel, you'll believe anything.

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2006, 09:06:28 AM »

Didn't Tolken write the bible?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7536 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.