Shadowrun Pub

• May 04, 2024, 07:56:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New security Detail.  (Read 13475 times)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re:New security Detail.
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »

Didn't Tolken write the bible?

Yup, sure did.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »

Wasn't that the Gospel According to St. Froddo???

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »

Well, technically, immortality is a permanent bond associated with a very powerful True pattern.

Observe, a Blood Oath can be taken, based on the Name of your Oath. When you defile the Pattern of your Oath, the link you've made with it will kill you. Much in the same way that a Shedim bonds with a corpse to prevent its decay or a free spirit can continually return from a Metaplane after being disrupted. These bonds are in essence a link to their Metaplane, and their True Name is actually the "pointer" to the bond. Destroy the bond and the spirit becomes "mortal" and will die because it has no physical form to fall back on.

Immortal Elves are bonded in some way to a permanent thing or ideal. You can become bonded to the Idea of Hatred and become immortal. However, such a bond does not come without a price, if you sway from the Definition of the Name you are bonded to, you WILL die, horribly so, in fact. Also, these bonds require huge amounts of Karma to create and so, are a very very rare thing indeed.

How does genetics come into play then? Simple, if Karma represents your experience and knowledge and actions alter your memory RNA so that you can remember your experiences, why is it impossible to say that memory also affects the secondary and tertiary structures in your DNA. The immortal gene activates after a drastic amount of time is spent bonding with the True Pattern of your choice.

Allow me to reiterate that the strongest form of Magic in the SR/ED universe is the ability to alter True Patterns. This is in essence what "Solomon's Key" is really; the ability to modify the universe on a Named basis. The most powerful of rituals involve the changing of these patterns. An example would explain it better:

Say you have a toaster, everyone else knows it is a toaster, you put bread in, it cooks it, and makes toast. Given enough power and energy and a knowledge of the True Pattern of the Toaster, you can make it something else entirely, a light bulb, a frozen dessert, etc. You can even change the apparent history of the object through space and time. With enough power, you could rewrite the history of World War II or Vietnam. However, such power would be impossible to must at this time without Blood Magic, so no one can really do that.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 10:45:55 AM »

Actually, I have'nt found anything mentioning patterns or true patterns in SR at all. What book are you referencing???

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2006, 02:04:02 PM »

Thoes are EarthDawn refrences.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »

Then how do they apply to Shadowrun magical systems??

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2006, 03:17:23 PM »

Uh... they don't. not really.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2006, 05:48:10 PM »

The Bonds are the same.

Yes, there is Canon that mentions it too. In the Denver sourcebook there's a Shadowtalk discussion about the Fort Carson military Base in the Pueblo sector, I'll quote:

"Wait one. Fort Carson got violently decommisioned, right? So why did the Pueblo brass rename it Fort Carson? That name's gotta have some bad mojo for them." --Larkspur

"Don't know for sure, Larkspur, but I'd guess they did it just to grind the UCAS. Kind of like saying, "Remember the Fort Carson your forebears occupied so proudly? Well, we own it now!" That kind of taunt wouldn't have anywhere near the same edge if they'd called it Fort Cibola or some such drek." --Ripper

"The real answer is both simpler and more complex. Names have power. Changing the name  of a place can diminish that power."  -- The Laughing Man

"Oh drek, who invited him?" --Canticle

"And why the frag would he care...?" --Dreamer

Threading and bonding are the same thing, in nature. It's just that magic was so recently discovered, that people don't understand the nature of this kind of bonding yet.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 01:36:53 AM »

It's also Retread's pet theory.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 05:55:54 AM »

It's also Retread's pet theory.

Yep. Got it in one.

Of course, using anything as canon tha twas posted by "The Laughing Man" (get a better handle, Harlequin) is kind of dodgey. There aren't any rules derived from anything said in those kinds of posts as far as I can tell, only hints and inuendo (sp). That doesn't invalidate them by any means, it just means they are more flavor and "house rules" then they are actual canon rules sets.

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »

Makes me wonder if there is like one guy who does harliquin's lines in the shadow-books, perhaps the only guy that's still there from the original earth-dawn RPG days?

-Ruski
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »

You never know. I've wondered about that myself from time to time.

Gabriel

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2006, 09:33:18 AM »

*pets Theory* Good boy!

See, by all technical leanings, that should be a pet Hypothesis, so by calling it a Theory you've validated my assumptions.

With Tom Dowd dead however, you aren't gonna see any new truly Harlequinesque stories *sniffle*

Still, send your players on a rating 15 astral quest and then tell me how you describe the universe in a completely metaphysical way. Names and Patterns seems to be the easiest to me, anyhow...

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2006, 09:35:38 AM »

descriptions are just what you are use to though.

you'd use the earth-dawn metaphysical refrences and descriptions, because that's what you are familar with.

the astral quests my PC's embark on are probibly more like Matrix-servers, seeing as who that's the 'astral' world I'm most familar with.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »

It wouldn't make much sense for a "never seen a computer in my life" African Shaman to have that kind of Astral Quest, though, would it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7552 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.