Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 07:13:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok.. lets see if i got it this time..  (Read 14874 times)

Capt_North

• Grunt
  • Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Ok.. lets see if i got it this time..
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:27:38 PM »

Alright, after bungling and posting in the RL general one i have finally managed to by pure luck wander into the right place to put my post...

Yippee for getting lost on the Matrix..

Anyways, Been quiet a while since i've posted here, and now im finding that there is a 4th edition coming out (is out?) and i just managed to get the 3rd core and the 2nd ed cybertechnology book.. no wonder some of those vamps out there are so amazed by new stuff that seems to get spewed out by the corps.. anyways, Good to see those of you who do know me again, and to all you new (ish) people, who the heck are you and what are you doing here!!!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
Re:Ok.. lets see if i got it this time..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »

Welcome to the new digs cap'n.

And yeah, the 4th edition is out now, though that doesn't mean we have to like it...
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:40:22 PM »

Ah, i take it that the 4th isnt very liked?

3rd seems pretty good, havent gotten chance to play yet, though the tech looks good, and like the cybertech book, all those nice new toys... *drools a moment*
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »

Ah, i take it that the 4th isnt very liked?

Haven't played it yet myself, or even read the book, but I can't say I'm a great fan of the changes I have read about.

3rd seems pretty good, havent gotten chance to play yet, though the tech looks good, and like the cybertech book, all those nice new toys... *drools a moment*
Oh yes, the 3rd edition is very nifty.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »

oohh? What kind of changes? this is first i've heard so got no clue what they are changing, just hope they arent whoring it out to the d20 system like they are doing with every other game system these days... damn wizards of the coast!!

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »

I try to pretend the D20 system does not exist.  Off the track but...I loved playing Star Wars RPG.  The session we had with that laste about 18 months real time and still stands as one of the best games ever played with the most enduring characters.  Saving roles were catagorized by us as 'easy,  'moderate', 'hard'  'extremely hard', 'yeah right' and 'good fucking luck' and the best part  - especially in the higher levels - was the obscene number of dice one got to throw down.  I will never play Star Wars D20 after  I had to go out and buy a sack of green sixers just to try for a 'good fucking luck' roll and had a ball smashing my stolen shuttle through the atmosphere and into the ocean.

As for SR4 - I only used my SR3 character once - I gotta have more field time than that.  GM is funny though - he prefers SR 2 and Cyberpunk 1  and when we play we play his way since I don't GM.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:00:43 AM by Zone »
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Capt_North

• Grunt
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »

Ah, the old West End games version? i actually have a bunch of my old books backed up on my PC,  rules seemd bit unbalanced couple times.. like because i rolled enough 6's that i was able to shoot down a starfighter with a hold out blaster...  course after that lotta people would dive for covere when pulled one.. hehe

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:32:57 AM »

Third edition is pretty balanced, if you don't mind mucking through some slower game mechanics required for shooting out of a moving car, or having your team wait while your chummer hackes that trix...

the new edition streamlines stuff nicely, but not dummed down to D20.

Personally, I like it; but I haven't gotten a game in yet.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 10:25:32 AM »

The 4th Edition rules seem pretty neat, but it's like a whole different game.  I have yet to play it though.  Anyway, from reading it even if I don't like it I'd want to convert the WMI stuff to 3rd edition cuz it's neat and someone in my group would end up playing a matrix-type character finally.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 10:37:20 AM »

I don't understand how they can get rid of an entire archetype, though- I mean, I understand that Hackers (or deckers, whichever you prefer) are somewhat similar to riggers, but the datajacks even went to different areas of the brain. (deckers plugged into the audio/visual aspect, and riggers plugged into the movement/reaction aspect.)

So. what's the deal with riggers? Why would they have been affected by the Wireless matrix Initiative? (Rules too hard to convert?)

Just wondering.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 10:52:56 AM »

Well, part of the original problem with riggers is their hardware and skillset were killing the PC's playability.

you have to deticate 5 essence, and all of your skills to driving.
most of them weren't any better with a gun than the decker.

bouth archtypes were effectivly retarded for the core of actually 'running'

sure, if you went with drones, you could have a little robot in your place to talk to the other players while you sat in the car; but the robot was virtually skill-less; and unless you put some serious hardware (read $) into it, it wouldn't help much in the stand-up fights that teams seem to get into.

so, they made the technology more accesable. the street-sam can have a data-jack, and a decent car skill, and pull off a decent rigger. (or, on the flip-side, the rigger has enough essence left over after saving the 5 essence and money from a level 3 VCR that he can get a couple of decent cars, some supportive hardware, and end up holding his own in a fight.

or, if you want to play total support, you can make your decker drive. it's really only one more skill anyways, and the skill line between deckers and riggers was pretty transparent anyways.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 06:36:35 PM »

That distinction comes from the fact that the players think they HAVE to put all their skills into Computer, et al. When push comes to shove, a player should even out all of their skills because I have a nasty habit of using my Oh Crap! dice to place the players in situations where they should have a different skill. Nearly everyone should at least have Car 1 or 2 and in the BeCKs Karma system, you could have it by sacrificing roughly 4 Karma points. Deckers can use their deck to emulate Rigger remote control protocols too, you know.

Ever see what a Rigger using a JIM exoskeleton can do? Imagine a powered suit of armor with 10 strength and a Control pool that can walk alongside a group of runners. Rigger protocols can apply to anything, literally. A talented rigger with Biotech can doctor better with a Valkyrie module than being there in person, even. The fact that a rigger can literally control a group of 5 drones in a fleet at once gives them some mean staying power too. Set up some pre-programmed command sets so you can order your fleet to "Sic the Troll" and watch that troll sammie get lit up by 5 different bursts of LMG fire with more recoil control than you can rightfully have on a meat-bod. How about some Body 0 wall-spider or fly drones that can sneak through ventilation shafts and do some spy work. Need that c4 in a spot without getting your face on a camera? Roll it in on a remote control car through some very small sewer pipes.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 07:54:12 AM »

*shrug* I don't know. It's been my experence that if you want to load up with drones, you end up spending all your money on drones, and you have to drive one of the other runner's cars. and if you want any real sort of transport (like a t-bird) you'll have to have a solo-run sponcered by yourself just to get it.

*shrug*

the cost of the hardware, (essence, and newyen) was also kinda prohibitive.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 06:39:06 AM »

I went for vehicles first - a place to put them in safety second, and then I started playing with drones.  I still don't have that many listed on my sheet.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 08:11:44 AM »

but how many runs did you have to pull off as the 'gettaway gal' before you could get a decent vechile, some place to park it, and now, finally, some drones to help the team?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7405 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.