Shadowrun Pub

• April 29, 2024, 07:27:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPods  (Read 4057 times)

BornKrazi

iPods
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »

So are they really worth all the hype?

This is not meant to be a long debate over whose is better, or anything like that.  Just curious to what my fellow pubbers have to think about these things.

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
Re:iPods
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:45:49 AM »

I wanted one about six years ago, but was too poor. Now I have money, but I figure that I'm better suited to buying a laptop. I can play music on those too.

As for my car, I have a CD played added via a tape deck adapter.

Summary, would be nice to have one, but not critical. If you have something that works, don't bother. Says me.
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Nike Shox

• Grunt
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »

I honestly have no desire for one, lol......I llike your
s cause it's green.. ;)

BornKrazi

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

I like mine too...I told you I'd try to get you the pink one.

Well I agree with you Curris.  I have both the laptop and the cd player.  I just liked the idea of one as far as portable music.  Such as if I'm with my parents and can't stand to listen to their music...or if I ever get on another plane, I'd probably use it then too.  Or if I just simply wanna take a shit and listen to some tunes...

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »

I've bought an iPod for an ex-girlfriend, and she told me she thought it was too great of a gift, and she didn't want it when I got it, but refused to give it to me when we broke up. Beeyotch.

Anyway, Elena has gotten a couple now, and they are pretty handy little devices. What I like the most about them is that you can set up you entire music library on one. So her irish tunes, my 90s rock, some country, and whatever else we have in common (in this case, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong), and then whatever you're in the mood to hear- that's the music that you have access to. No changing CDs, no turning on your laptop, and having to worry about the battery dying or going into sleep mode (she has the ipod, so I have to use my laptop, and I know it's foibles well).

They're pretty sturdy, they have a good battery life, and they're better than a radio tuner. Why listen to the radio and all the commercials out there when you can just listen to your own music?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

BornKrazi

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

I agree as well.  I haven't set mine up yet, but I'm building my music library on the computer now, and I can't wait to be able have access to all those songs at the touch of a button.  Although I need to verify the amount of space mine has.  I believe it's 60GB, I got the Nano.  Although I might be making an upgrade to the video one before long, we'll see...

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »

Or if I just simply wanna take a drek and listen to some tunes...

Theme music for those cinematic moments? Hehe.
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

BornKrazi

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »

Hehe... well I don't subscribe to the paper, nor any magazines.  So I need something to do while I'm in there!

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »

Actually, when I'm between books, I bring my laptop in and type while I'm "out-putting."

In fact, I might be doing that right now!!!

The fact of Ipods is that they're handy, and convinient. They don't have any of the RIAA-mandated security features that have made it into some of the other players, and all you need to organize all the music on your computer (no matter where it may be) is a free copy of itunes, which updates itself (still free) as well as software for the ipod (also free).

You can even set itunes on different computers to only upload songs- not to replace any, so that you can have a main computer with all of your music, and another computer or two where you download music if you're needing a specific song or album (we all know how frustrating it is to think "Okay, that's the name of that song. Don't forget it." and then hours later ripping hair out trying to remember what it was.), without any undue fuss.

I'm not a big fan of closed architecture or corporate slickness all packaged up for mass consumption, but even I had to admit that Apple did something good with Ipod.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

BornKrazi

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

Well that's an issue I have so maybe you can help me walk through it.  I want to upload my songs here, and then upload more songs from a different computer.  But it said something about linkin it to that machine instead of mine and that I would lose the songs I already had on it.

Elena V

• FNG
  • (Insert witty/humorous quote)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:02:32 PM »

You can go into iTunes and fiddle with the settings to allow you to manually update your iPod.  I don't remember exactly how, but there's a help section somewhere in the program.  Then you can just click and drag the music from your library to your iPod--and even add new playlists to your iPod and move around the songs that are already on it.

BornKrazi

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »

Nice... like I said before I haven't even set this one up yet.  But I had one before (well actually that one wasn't even mine) and I got to play with them a little bit.  I don't know if I wanna download the iTunes program... I use Windows Media Player 11 and it has an option to download one with iTunes as well.  Anybody know if that works just as well?

BornKrazi

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »

Okay so I just looked it up online, I either 2, 4, or 8GB on the Nano.  So I guess whenever I hook it up I'll know for sure.  I don't know where I got the 60GB from... maybe I was simply dreaming.

<Edit: I have further learned that I have a 4GB...not enough room for everything, but I can sure the hell try!>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:27:11 PM by BornKrazi »

BornKrazi

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »

Okay so new question, sorta a Tech Support question.  I just came across an original iPod, one of the 20GB ones.  Only problem is I can't seem to get it to hold a charge, thus I can't get it to turn on so I can see what's up.  Any suggestions?

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 01:37:51 PM »

The original iPods had a battery life of about one month longer than the warranty. You might see is someone can drop a new battery in it, because then you get a whole new ipod for the price of some nickel/cadmium.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7414 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.