Shadowrun Pub

• March 28, 2024, 03:09:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renraku Arcology - OOC  (Read 8570 times)

Gilliam

• FNG
Re: Renraku Arcology - OOC
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »

Dodger breaks morgan out, and that op runs smoothly, no real hitches.  Later, Renraku wants their investment back.  They sent out an Army of Semi-autonomus knowbots (we now know them as agents).  To track down and capture Morgan.  In order to make Deus, Renraku forcibly Reverse-Engineers Morgan's code.  What's left over after this digital rape is Megaera... whom renraku apparently just lets go.

I don't really understand the lack of fading either... although it might have something to do with the ever-present nature of the wireless matrix.

Lover of  Colors.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »

Megera wasn't let out, Dodger and another decker broke in to try to get her out, but were too late to stop the reverse engineering and were only able to save her after whe had been corrupted. The Megera personality is what resulted from that, but was still one of only three AI's known to exist on the planet, therefore representing an incredible asset to Renraku. That is why they still wanted an "insane" AI: R&D.

As for Pax, she was the lead Otacu working for Deus. She was NOT implanted with the technology used to keep the other Banded in line and droolingly subservient to Deus. She worked for him because she wanted to. Evil slitch. After the balloon went up on the Arc, she ecaped and pulled together some of the other White Banded (corrupted otacu) that escaped and began forming dissonence pools in the matrix in hopes of strengthening Deus' power when she was able to get him back. Pax knew about the experiments to implant code in thousands of prisoners in teh Arc, and knew how to access then when they were online. Furthermore, she knew how to "reprogram" other Otacu plugged into the matrix, thus the Dissonence Pools. And I seem to remember something about her preventing her own fading by feeding off of other Otacu in some fashion and using Deus' brainwashing techniques to create utter loyalty in her followers.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »

Wait... who is the third AI?

1.) Morgan/Megara

2.) Deus

3.) ???

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 05:45:48 PM »

I think it's Morgan who gets pulled apart to create Deus and Megara, thus 3.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Gilliam

• FNG
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »

no... there's a third, he was supposed to have awakened out of some defense computer (holy TERMINATOR (c) batman!).  I can't remember his name, but his story involves blacking out the entire Seattle grid in some weird AI analog of a suicide attempt.
Lover of  Colors.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:53:04 PM »

That was Megara, taking over the 'nodes' and attempting to shut down the network before Deus could wrest control of it from her again.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gilliam

• FNG
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 09:40:45 AM »

noo... it's supposed to be a separate incident, before morgan is even "awake".  I don't remember seeing it in a book, I think it was on a history page, one put up by AncientHistory, who posts on dumpshock.
Lover of  Colors.

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »

Here are the bits and pieces from my understanding:

The Renraku Arcology is still sealed up in 2070 (SR4 beginning timeline).  I'm not sure if it's still got the people inside, or they got all the people out and just sealed it for investigations.

Not true. The Arcology was opened back up before 2070. It is now called the ACHE (can't recall offhand what that stands for), and is used by the city as Low Income Housing.

Also, Deus is alive, though in small bits and pieces all over the new matrix.  He basically took his code, chopped it up, and put it all over.  I'm sure when a new Threats book comes out there's going to be a part about Deus.  Maybe some group is putting him back together, or maybe he's putting himself back together?

Where do you get this from? The SR4 books are quite clear about the 'deaths' of all the old AIs. There ar some new (far less powerful) AIs in the new Matrix, but Deus isn't among them.
Chance favors the prepared mind!

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 07:45:01 PM »

SR4 pg 33
The section titled "Deus' Agenda" 2nd paragraph:

It was a long series of ugly, gory, and heartbreaking skirmishes,
as well as many a Matrix battle, that eventually saw the
end of Deus’s stranglehold. Those who wanted to capture him
afterward were disappointed, however, to find that he’d slipped
their carefully prepared trap. As it turns out, he’d downloaded
himself as nodes into the heads of many of his victims, released
into the world after they had all been freed. These became part
of the Network, which also contained Megaera thanks to the last
fight between her and Deus. This would be very important later.

Actually now that I read it, the next section titled 'The Perfect Storm' goes on to talk about the Novatech IPO and Deus's plan to upgrade with Megaera's code in the middle of the ECSE.  Winternight  killed him..my bad.  Though, it never specifically says Deus was destroyed, just that the matrix was taken down by the worm and the EMP bombs to the Matrix hubs.  So in theory there could still be a crippled Deus out there somewhere.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Emergence pg. 15
One of the best kept secrets of the Sixth World is the existence of AIs. The megacorporations and governments have kept any such knowledge from the public, helped by the fact that the existence of only three such entities has been recorded. To the public, AIs remain science fiction fodder or bogeymen for Matrix-addicted children. Even to the vast majority of those who make the Matrix their living, AIs are the elusive Holy Grail of agent programmers and expert system designers. Very few outside of megacorporate boardrooms, secret research programs, and intelligence agencies know the reality of the matter. The direct involvement of these AIs in the Renraku Arcology shutdown of 2059 and the Crash 2.0 (described in Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan, SR4, and System Failure), however, have revealed the truth to a privileged few in the shadows. The fact that all three AIs—as well as all evidence of their intervention— are believed to have been destroyed during the Crash of ’64 has kept knowledge out of the media and mainstream culture.

All three identified AIs (known respectively as Deus, Morgan/Maegara, and Mirage) possessed god-like abilities within the Matrix as well as vast and not-entirely-human intellects. Their personalities and agendas were diverse, but they no longer exist, so they do not appear in Emergence. Other entities, some described as ghosts in the machine—metahuman intelligences trapped in the Matrix—have also been encountered on occasion, but if anything knowledge of such encounters is even more obscure and mysterious than that of AIs. The true nature of the virtual ghosts remains to be ascertained, and no one knows whether they are truly metahuman minds uploaded into the Matrix, AIs emulating the minds and personalities of metahumans, or something altogether different.

Deus is toast! ;) :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:27:13 PM by Fortune »
Chance favors the prepared mind!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7093 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 18 queries.