Shadowrun Pub

• April 28, 2024, 11:58:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Magic Rules  (Read 26564 times)

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
Re:Magic Rules
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 01:36:19 PM »

I would appreciate any cheat sheets I can get. Not only am I learning this for pretty much the first time myself, but I'm also teaching it to a group of six people. With me as the only experienced player.

A scary thought, I know.

Okay, so how does controlling/banishing spirits work? Summoning? What's this about resisting summoning drain with Charisma?

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »

A mage resists summoning drain with Charisma. Think of it like this: the mage/shaman sends out a call into the astral to summon the nature of the place he is/situation he is in/element of choice and the spirits respond. It is taxing and takes persuasion and concentration, therfore it is reflected with Charisma and the drain is applied accordingly. As for banishing a spirit, that's covered on the cheat sheet.

I'll e-mail you the cheat, but also check those CD's I sent to Ruski. CD #3 has some issues of the Shadowrun Supplimental (including the one that I got published in) and at the back of one of the later issues is a set of 4 magician cheat sheets that have a TON of great information in a very concise format. I have them printed out and stuck in my GM folder. Find them and give them to your mage players. Trust me, this will help a ton.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »

Summoning in a nutshell:

For mages, it requires a Ritual Circle rated at least of the force of the spirit to be summoned and is defined by the type. A ritual ciricle is Force x meters in Radius. Circles may NOT cross each other. It takes Rating hours to draw a circle using chalk (5 nuyen per point) A higher rated circle may be used for summoning a lower rating spirit, mind you, the circle is just a protection against the reckless and unconditioned spirit. Addtionally, a material for the spirit to reside in is required relative to the force of the spirit (greater force = more material) Air elementals need burning incense or smoke, fire elementals an open flame, earth needs rock or clay, and water needs (relatively) clean water. You also need ritual materials which are random gew-gaws and expendables for the rituals, costing 1,000 nuyen per force. The magician must also have a Conjuring hermetic library available of at least the rating of the spirit (the cost of these is Rating^2x1,000 nuyen.

The ritual takes a number of hours equal to the spirit's force (Force 12 spirits are very hard to summon without lots of caffeine/stimulants) To successfully summon the spirit, the magician must perform the ritual as an Exclusive action, meaning no other spells may be directly sustained or cast during the ritual. The magician then rolls her Conjuring skill + any spirit focus or mage class advantage dice available. The magician can allocate conjuring dice to resist drain as well. The target number for this test is the Force of the spirit. If no successes are rolled, the spirit never arrives but all the ritual materials are used up (save the element used) The number of successes indicates how many services the Mage gets from the spirit.

Drain is then rolled, the damage level is variable based on the relation of the summoner's charisma rating and the force of the spirit:

Spirits Force is:                                      Drain Level is:
1/2 of summoner's Charisma                       L
Summoner's Charisma or less                     M
Greater than Summoner's Charisma           S
Greater than 1.5 x Summoner's Charisma   D

If the spirit's force is greater than the summoner's magic rating, the drain does physical damage. In a healthy magician, this means summoning a force 8 Spirit usually leads to death. This drain is resisted with Charisma against a target number equal to the spirit's force.

If the conjurer is knocked out or killed the spirit becomes uncontrolled. Roll a Force (6) test for the elemental. If one  success is generated, the spirit flees back to it's home metaplane. If none are generated the spirit goes berserk and starts combat with the nearest living thing using its powers to its fullest. It won't stop until killed, banished, or controlled by another mage.

Nature spirits follow this same pattern but instead of a lengthy ritual, they may be summoned on the fly without materials but their strength and utility is much less than that of an elemental. Summoning a nature spirit is a Complex action, using the same rules as above for Success test and Drain. Nature spirits never become berserk and simply disappear when uncontrolled. A nature spirit only lasts from dusk till dawn or vice versa. Therefore, summoning a spirit at 10 AM will allow you to use the spirit until Dusk (6-9PM variably) Any services left over are gone at this time.

To banish a spirit you roll your Conjuring skill + spirit foci or totem modifiers against the spirit's force using an Exclusive Complex Action (no spells sustained) and the spirit rolls it's force against the banishing magician's Magic attribute. Also, if the magician that is banishing the spirit is the spirit's summoner, they may add their Charisma to the dice rolled. If the banisher gets more successes, reduce the spirit's force by a number equal to the net successes. If the spirit wins, reduce the magician's Magic attribute by the net successes. After the first round of banishment, the winner gets to decide if the battle will continue. This is of course, provided neither the magician nor the spirit are disrupted.

If the spirit reaches 0 force, it is destroyed and is removed from both the physical and astral planes. If the banisher is reduced to 0 Magic, they pass out, taking deadly stun damage and must also check for Magic Loss. (Magic (Magic) test, failure = 1 lost Magic point)

Magic and Force lost in this manner recover at a rate of 1 per hour.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »

Does this work for say, Insect Spirits, too?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 04:42:44 AM »

Banishing, yes.

Summoning: basically yes, but then again no, as they need a host body and all that. Also only NPCs should summon bug spirits, so it's OK to fudge a bit.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 05:19:47 AM »

Yeah, if you get a bug shaman in your group, just let the other PC's have fun killing them or selling them to the Draco Foundation.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »

I haven't introduced them to bug or toxic shamans yet. Those are concepts for later adventures.

So, what is the difference between an elemental and a spirit?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:28 PM »

Aside from the differences in summoning, as Retread pointed out, here is a big difference

Spirits must exist in their domains and only in their domains. For instance, Sky spirits exist in open airy areas, and can not be made to go underground, or underwater, or into stuffy buildings (usually). Hearth spirits can't leave their building (Good to know when running for your life!)

In order to be summoned, the shaman must be in the spirits domain.

Elementals are not hampered by this, they can go anywhere.

Also Spirits just last for the day, Elementals last for quite awhile.

There are more differences, and it would be better to have some of the more informed tell you about it, but that's a small token of what of I pull out of memory at midnight. . .
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 05:25:05 AM »

My preference is for shamans because they can summon a spirit. They can do this as a Complex (IIRC) Action as needed. A mage has to preform a ritual that is as long in hours as the elemental is strong in force. They have to pay ¥1,000 per force point in materials and creat a circle that takes as many hours as force point of the elemental to create. On the up-side, elementals can share their force rating to add to a mage's spell pool. They can stay "on call" in astral space for a long time. And they can manifest in any domain not in opposition of their nature. That is to say a fire elemantal can't pop up under water without taking major damage instantly.

All of that aside, with spirits you have a bit more thinking to do because quite often spirit domains overlap. For instance, a hearth spirit, forest spirt, and sky spirit may be able to be summoned in a building's roof-top garden. A city spirit could be summoned in the middle of the street, as could a storm spirit if the weather is right. And as Curris pointed out, spirits cannot cross outside of their domains.

ANd on that note, I wanted an opinion on hearth spirits. There was this cat that lived in my girlfriend's old appartment comlpex that I joked around must be the spirit of the place since it got into everyone's units and never seemed to be sick or worn out or hungry. The comment got me thinking that if you summoned a hearth spirit in a multi-building complex with open green courtyards, wouldn't its domain end at the property line as opposed to a building's wall? After all, the entire facility is concidered one complex and thus could fall within a hearth domain since people live there. Persoannly, I say it would work, but I am interested to know everyone else's take on the situation.

Gabriel

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 05:32:58 AM »

sorry, I'm still bothered about when a player suggested summoning a hearth spirit in the middle of a park, because "hey, look at all 'em squatters, somebody sure do live here!"

I try to avaid shamans these days.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 05:34:40 AM »

That's a good point.

Gabriel

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 05:39:02 AM »

Well, it is, isn't it.

I think mages are less of a headache.
Or mambos, or psionics, or whatever...

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »

See, I'm the opposite on that. It's really just the domain thing that gives me a bit of pause for shamans, but I still think that by and large, they are the easier ones to play. Just one elf's opinion.

Gabriel

Curris

• Grunt
  • We come in Peace! ( whisper ) Shoot to kill, men..
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 08:19:53 AM »

I would rule that the whole complex would be listed as the domain, since the mental/emotional/astral imprint that created it would believe it all is part of the living space.

An analagous statement is, can your hearth spirit stand in your backyard? I'd say probably. . .
By reading this, you have just given me temporary control of your brain. . .

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:21 AM »

Okay so spirits = shamans, summoned on the fly.
elementals = mages, summoned over the course of hours.

What about watcher spirits? What are they, and how do they work?

And So how do wards work? What does the force of wards do to affect spells? How do you break a ward? (circle?) What is the affect when you do?

How common are wards or circles? How expensive to make?

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7400 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 16 queries.