General > Technoweenies

Targeted Piracy

(1/3) > >>

Gabriel:
Hoi my deckiing friends. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a really good registy cleaner program for free??? I have checked on Download.com and even though most of them are listed as freeware or shareware, none of them will do a complete scan and repair unless you spend something like $30.00. If anyone can help me upt here I would appreciate it. I've got a TON of registry errors I need to clean up (according to these programs) and I would like to get it taken care of before my PC turns into another paper weight.

Gabriel

kv:
I would reccommend "Hijack This," but I don't know anything that specifically cleans the registry.

-kv

Ruski:
RegRun Gold '350' is a program i've used in the past.
the 'trial' is free at download.com, and works for a couple of days, it would be good for a one shot cleanup.
*shrug* worked for me anyways.

personally, I like the tools included in norton systemworks.
they have an awsome registry cleaner.

although you can't beat the price on the original:
regedit
LOL
just go [start] -> [run]
regedit
and voalla! get out your search tools, and clean it up by hand! hahahaha

-RuskiFace the Pirate

Gabriel:
Thanks for the paydata, chummer. I'll give that one a try. But do you think I should just get one at the $30.00 price? Or, I guess a better question would be: is it worth it for me to pay for one of these programs? Will it automatically fix registry problems when the happen or do I have to run it periodically like Nortan or AdAware? A professional opinion on this would be very welcomed.

Gabriel

Ruski:
if you are going to pay $30, you may as well pick up Norton Systemworks.
I think it's $39.99, and it does a hell of a lot more than a registry scan.

it's good to clean out the registry, but really, even the best of scanners can only do so much after a point.

you can go in manually and tune up a registry, but according to microsoft; you should re-format your system every couple of years to make sure the registry stays in good shape.
if it's been a long time... and the system is slowing down to the point that it's painfull, and there are a bunch of programs in there that you can't get rid of...
it may be time to back up your data and do a low-level format of the drive.
then again, it's always a good idea to back up your important data before messing with the registry.
or, it's just a good idea to backup your data period.
-RuskiFace the Pirate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version