Shadowrun Pub

• May 13, 2024, 02:18:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: History  (Read 43060 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:History
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2005, 01:01:37 PM »

I'm thinking that any implant that intereacts with another system would be considered integrated, and therefore cybernetic. For instance, a peg leg or steel rod in your arm would not make you a cyborg. A steel rod connected to servo motors and force-feedback controlls would make you a cyborg. Personally, I've got enough chrome to know it, but not really enough that I would cal myself a gillette.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

luna

« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »

lmao cyborgs dont need food to eat and omg this is too funny  :P

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »

so, if you have to eat food you are human, but if you have to plug yourself in every night you are a cyborg?

hmm... seems an odd distinction...

-RuskiFace the Pirate
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2005, 03:35:41 PM »

cyborgs do need to eat they need the protins to maintaince the meat portions of thier bodys
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

luna

« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »

so you are sayin that cyborgs r half human half machine right well if thats that case then how does machines need food to eat and all this time i thought that gabe was an elf  :-\

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2005, 05:59:11 AM »

I am an elf. I am a damn good-looking elf. I also have a cybernetic right arm, a datajack, beta-grade eyeballs, and a few other systems. That doesn't make me a robot. Cyborg just means a living organism that has mechanical components. Your typical decker is a cyborg, but then, so is your average corporate secretary. Things like datajakcs and cybernetic eyes/ears are so common that just about everyone could be considered a cyborg if you wanted to think about it. Of course the level of cybernetics is what most people tend to look at. A corporate secretary with a datajack and headware memory is not nearly as flashy as a cybercomando and therefore people tend not to think of her as a cyborg.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2005, 08:21:57 AM »

LOL, but it's kinda funny when the 'all natural' elves from the tir come on up for a visit, calling everyone from the gutter trash razorboy with his first set of used cyberspurs, to the seven million newyen samauri with more chrome than a 1957 chevey 'a bunch of no good cyborgs'.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2005, 11:45:10 AM »

I of course also combine meat and mechanics and also claim elfness - not that it looms large in my life except when some one thinks elves can't fight and tries to jerk my chain.  Having a remote access to a minigun becomes a very fun thing at that point...
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2005, 01:43:36 PM »

I'm thinking that any implant that intereacts with another system would be considered integrated, and therefore cybernetic. For instance, a peg leg or steel rod in your arm would not make you a cyborg. A steel rod connected to servo motors and force-feedback controlls would make you a cyborg.

Gabe, this is wht, the third time this year already, that we've agreed?

What's with you?!
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »

Hmm... remote access... i have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of that in 4th edition.

if they are getting rid of decks, i wonder if they'll eliminate VCR's as well?
perhaps merge them with skillwires or something? *shrug*

i wonder what they'll do with skillwires?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2005, 05:56:57 AM »

I'm thinking that any implant that intereacts with another system would be considered integrated, and therefore cybernetic. For instance, a peg leg or steel rod in your arm would not make you a cyborg. A steel rod connected to servo motors and force-feedback controlls would make you a cyborg.

Gabe, this is wht, the third time this year already, that we've agreed?

What's with you?!

Yes, ROOTless, I'm scared too. :'(

Gabriel

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2005, 08:51:00 AM »

When Gabe makes sense, the whole world is frightened.

World: "Hey, isn't that the dirty crazy guy that no one understands?"
Rest of World: "Yea..."
World: "How come I understand him,... and he makes perfect sense?"
Rest of the World: "I don't know, but it's very scary!"

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

luna

« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2005, 03:02:43 PM »

lmao agrees with Ruski gabe is the missin link the one that noone wants to get close too and just lets him talk cuz sometimes hes got cool things to say  :o

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #223 on: April 04, 2005, 04:44:14 PM »

but what happens when the cool things he says start to make sense?

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »

A person becomes a cyborg when they forget that they are human or no longer consider themselves human. In essence, when you forget about your humanity, you suffer machine-like properties and illnesses. You ignore pain and have no conscience for the welfare of anything and become sociopathic. This is called "Cyberpsychosis" whereby having a lot of chrome that is clearly recognizable and alters your "natural" view of the world draws you ever closer to this phenomenon.

An artificial heart would not make you a cyborg as you rarely have to deal with the fact that your heart is cybernetic and not human. Whereas having your arm telescope into a wicked sword alters your perception making you more mechanical.

Most internal cyberware with no DNI has little impact on your humanity, whereas external or exotic body-altering and sense-altering cyber does.

Cyber-vision, Sense-rigs, Skillsofts, implant weapons, cyberlimbs and reaction enhancers have the ability to make you cyberpsychotic. Whereas blood-filters, cyber-organs, muscle replacements and cosmetic ware have little effect (of course, sleeping at night with your inhuman heart never skipping a beat may be unnerving)

The aspect of decorating your chrome is a coping mechanism for the debilitating effect on the user's humanity. It gives you a way to link your cybernetics to your personality, preserving your link to your psyche. Couselling is also an option.

In essence, being a cyborg is based on the threshold which defines you and the machine. A cyborg is a person who is controlled by the machine.

Examples of cyborgs: Robo-Cop and the Street Deacon

Johnny Mnemonic wasn't a cyborg but he was getting there.
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7689 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.