Shadowrun Pub

• May 20, 2024, 11:12:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lovecraft and Howard  (Read 2182 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:Lovecraft and Howard
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 04:56:16 AM »

So what you are asking is whether or not we believe that civilization is a more natural force than barbarism? Well, since anarchy is fairly rare in human culture, then i would go with civilization. Besides, if you have no civilization, then Cthulhu cannot corrupt you from within, thus bringing about the downfall of Man, and the insanity of an entire race!

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 10:54:13 AM »

*blinkblink*

Uhhh... yeah, that is actually pretty close to what I was asking.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »

Ooooh, Gabe, how...on topic of you. I'm all a-flutter  ;D

In the misty past I read a short bio of Lovecraft which (iirc) inflicted upon him a combination of intestinal cancer and Bright's disease and a basic lunacy that led to him pretty much starving himself to death as his illness progressed.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:30 PM »

Huh. Sounds pleasant.

I was trying to start a discussion about Lovecraft's ideas vs. Howard's ideas.

Howard argued that barbarians were the natural way of mankind. That society was artificial, and that men and women were only truly themselves when they were in a barbaric state.

His stories (Conan) reflect this; Conan is honorable and proud, and only kills non-combatants when they betray him, which they do pretty much constantly. So Howard was arguing that with society comes depravity. This is also reflected in the writings of political philosopher John Locke, who argued that man is naturally imbued with the law of Nature, and societies are only temporary constructions that are made for common defense and interests.

Lovecraft argued that man naturally became civilized, and once they became civilized, they were unwilling or unable to deal with the barbaric world.

His stories reflect this, as mankind goes mad and is devoured (over and over) by nameless horrible (barbaric) evils. The historical citation in support of Lovecraft is the Gauls vs. The Romans, who were unable to deal with them, and eventually had to just conquer them, but in doing so, weakened the Roman empire.

That's what I was trying to discuss.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »

Well, in that vein, I would suggest that man is not, by nature, barbarous, but is instead agressive. Barbarism is pretty much anarchy, and that never really lasts. Anarchy means that the strong will do whatever they want to whomever they can do it to without being defeated themselves. With this kind of pressure, those indeviduals who cannot defend themselves will band together to do so, thus creating a society. Now, keep in mind that this kind of pressure does not have to come from other humans (barbarians) but instead can, and almost always does, come from other outside forces such as wild animals, the ravages of weather, and even desease and hunger.

I think this all points to a marked trend in human nature to the social as opposed to the singular. I would ask the question of all of you here: Have you ever gone on a long, isolated vacation (as in camping, hiking, etc.) on your own and not felt a deep urge to be around others fairly early on? I would suspect some of you have, but I also think you would be in the minority.

Gabriel

PS - And Zone, if I would have known that staying on topic got you all "fluttery" I would have tried this tactic long, LONG ago. ;)
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7733 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 15 queries.