Shadowrun Pub

• May 19, 2024, 12:09:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Money the Old-Fashioned Way... Begging  (Read 1257 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Making Money the Old-Fashioned Way... Begging
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »

Hoi Chummers,

This is a topic going out to the tech-heads in our pub. I am trying to save up money so that I can buy a coin-operated video game now that I live in a house (instead of a tiny appartment). So far, things are going very poorly. As you all know, I recently moved to a new state, and the job market here is not nearly as lucreative as the old one, so I need every spare dime for just living. So I started trying to think of a way to get this game, and My girlfriend and I got onto the topic of the girl who took donatons for a boob job, or the chick who took donations and payed off her credit card debt. And I was thinking of trying to do the same thing to get my coin-op game.

So that brings me to the point: I have no idea how to set up a web site or take Pay-Pal donations. If any of you bunch of creative people can help me with that, I would greatly appreciate it. Pro's, con's, opinions, help setting up the site, or whatever, I could use them all. Please, let me know what you can come up with.

Gabriel, Pennieless Elf
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
Re: Making Money the Old-Fashioned Way... Begging
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »

Step 1> Set up a PayPal account
Step 2> Set up a website
Step 3> Hope it works

PayPal donation information:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/donate-intro-outside

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:30:01 AM »

It helps if you're a pretty girl and nerdy buys think you might flash a little sumthinsumthin in gratitude. Those are the only people that I've seen get donations. Unless you're holding a cute bunny rabbit ransom; but those guys were assholes.

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:00 AM »

Gabe's a huge asshole. He wouldn't have any problem holding 2 bunny rabbits hostage
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:04:31 AM »

I'm not a huge asshole, just a moderate asshole. And Iw ould let the b unnies go when I got money. See, the thing is, however, taht I have no idea HOW to set up a site like the one I would need. Nor do I know what I could give as gratitude to the people who donate. That's what I need heklp with.

I believe I have web space included with my ISP package, but have no idea how to go about setting it up into anything. If any of you know how to go about doing that, I could use the help. Ingo included a PayPal link for taking donations, and I got a chance to look at it, but I still need to follow up on it. Again, if any of you have experience with this, I could use the CONSTRUCITVE comments. ;)

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

I can design you a website with HTML or Photochop, depending on how utilitarian or fancy you want it to be.

There's actually one problem with taking donations like that: It's not technically legal. The IRS can hit you on tax evasion, but the really easy way around it is to form a non-profit organization. Non-Profits only need to devote 30% to a cause to be considered legit, so that means 70% of your revenue goes to 'administration,' namely your well lined pockets.

There have been a lot of internet scams, but the best one is to load your page up with Ads, and then ask for donations. If you have a webcomic that's seldom updated but you promise to update soon, people will check all the time, increasing your ad revenues.

What you need is a draw to get people to your page. One guy I know got his fifteen minutes of fame by buying a cute little bunny rabbit and threatening to cook and eat him unless he got the money he wanted. Once he got that amount of money, he actually increased the amount to spare the bunny so that people would keep donating. He kept a journal of the bunny's activities, gave him a cute name, detailed his diet and used some serious sociopathy to make it seem like it was YOUR fault that he was holding the rabbit hostage.

More often, girls will put up a webcam, and ask for donations to take clothes off. That seems to work better, although I have no idea how they attract clients.

For you... I have no idea. Start a fake tshirt company, and ask for donations to help you 'buy equipment' or something. If you want, I can design a bunch of tshirts for you to sell, or if you really wanted, we could actually do it (the Pub needs more merchandising anyway).

Those are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 05:03:16 AM »

sounds like KV is the person to talk to. I have no idea on what to do
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »

I've looked into it, because I was trying to set up my own webcomic and store thing.

If you want a money-making webcomic, take a look at this guys page:
http://www.theaterhopper.com/index.php?date=20050914

Filled with ads, personal opinions, and sweet, sweet revenue. I've never even seen him ask for donations, because there are 15 ads at any given time, which pay him every time someone loads the page. Even if he only gets $.01 cent per ad every time someone looks at his page, he'd only need a couple thousand pageviews a month to make ends meet.

If you wanted to do something noble, start a nonprofit and use it to create a "Disaster Relief Fund," dedicated to helping people of the NEXT disaster. People donated millions to victims of Hurricane Katrina, but that money didn't actually make it to those people until months after the event. What if there was a fund created to actually SAVE up for the next rainy day? People get to feel good for donating, you get to keep a percentage for 'administration,' and everyone goes home happy. Until the next disaster, when you donate your mandatory 30% to the Red Cross. It's a scam, but it's something people can feel good about doing.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:18:35 AM »

Any progress on this, Gabe?
I can help out with whatever you need help with.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7729 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 15 queries.