Shadowrun Pub

• September 20, 2024, 07:36:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223   Go Down

Author Topic: paddin  (Read 146936 times)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
Re:paddin
« Reply #3300 on: January 22, 2007, 04:57:34 AM »

NO. We know you lie a lot, Poison. I mean come on, your avatar is a Nazgul, how can you really be trusted??? ;)

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

kv

• Too lazy to contact Ingo for a custom title
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
    • Click here to see a bigger verison of my Pic!
« Reply #3301 on: January 22, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »

Maybe he's a nice Nazgul, one that's cross-alignment for his species, like Drizzt!

-kv
"There are three rules to surviving a gun fight.
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
   If you can do that, you can survive."
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #3302 on: January 23, 2007, 04:48:24 AM »

that could be possible. Maybe instead of sucking out your soul he likes to give out candy :)
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3303 on: January 23, 2007, 04:51:26 AM »

Jeez, I wish Drizzt had been killed off in book #1. I'm really sick of the Super Drow.

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Poison

• Toxic Adept
  • Runner
« Reply #3304 on: January 23, 2007, 05:18:55 AM »

that could be possible. Maybe instead of sucking out your soul he likes to give out candy :)

Yes, candy.  That's it.  Candy indeed...  ;D

What the f$%K is the deal with Drizzt?  I encountered him in a computer game once and he was the most annoying :censored: I had ever met.  :P
~:poison: ~

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3305 on: January 23, 2007, 05:58:21 AM »

It's what happens when an author can't develop his character independantly from the PC that he plays. He will never kill Drizzt. He will never really hurt Drizzt. And the character will never be more than 2-D. The man needs to learn A LOT about characterization and character development. So what you get is a walking D&D statistic with flat personality, and no real in-depth motivations. It's one of the reasons you should be VERY carefull if you ever right fiction based on a played game.

Gabriel

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #3306 on: January 23, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »

More like: Drizzt is the text-book example of why I generally don't read RPG-based fiction.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #3307 on: January 23, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »

Well, there is that. When someone brought up Mary-Sue characters in another thread, I immediately thought of Drzzt and R.A. Salvatore.

I think that it's funny that he killed Chewbacca, and defends it as "in order for the story to progress, he needed to die," and yet is unable to kill any characters in the Icewind Dale group.

I mean, hell. Bruenor was smashed flat by a dragon after falling thousands of feet. He survived. Why? According to RA Salvatore, because he was holding a sword that proctected him from the flame of the dragon's breath. As for the long fall and the sudden stop at the end? Uhhh... it really hurt but he survived.

Wulfgar sacrificed himself to destroy an abbysal creature, one that chewed through his flesh and was enjoying a tasty snack of his ribs when Wulfgar used his magic hammer to collapse the cavern and banish the fiend. Did he stay dead? No- that noble sacrifice was wasted, and he was mostly getting out of the way so that Drizzt could hook up with his girlfriend while he was tortured in the Abbys.

And, once he comes back, does Drizzt step out of the way for this happy reunion? No, of course not. Wulfgar was too traumatized (who wouldn't be?) so Drizzt kept doing his dark elf thing, and Wulfgar wandered off and found some barmaid to procreate with.

My friend loves fantasy writing (and I have to admit, I'm partial to it too- especially Robert Jordan. I know he's wordy and his plotlines outdo knots for twists and turns, and you really do need that glossary at the back after like three books... but I like them), and he's been trying to get me to read the new Drizzt books, so I picked them up.

I started them, and... I just can't get past how much I dislike the main character. I mean, Salvatore's writing style has drastically improved over the years (one of the running jokes I have with this particular friend is that Salvatore used the word 'skitter' something like two hundred times in one book- on one specific page, he used it something like five time), and his writing style is undeniably better. But every time he switches back to Drizzt's perspective, I'm just... irritated.

For instance, first thing in the book, Bruenor, the old dwarf who mysteriously survived the fall for thousands of feet, is taking them on a trip, and he's really excited about it... but he doesn't want to tell them where it is they're going. So what do they do? Obviously, the best choice is to kidnap one of thier close friends and threaten him with torture until he tells you. So that's what they do. I drek you not.

I got that far in the book, and couldn't read another page.

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3308 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »

You just have to love an author too blind to see his work sucks.

Gabriel

kv

• Professional Runner
  • Spawner of Violence
« Reply #3309 on: January 23, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »

Well, not like the fanboys shooting smoke up his ass are doing him any favors. ;D

-kv
1) Shoot First
2) Shoot More
3) Shoot last
                                 -Samus Bravo
                                (Mercury's Father)

AJStarhiker

• Runner
  • I much prefer ice and snow to sand and rock.
« Reply #3310 on: January 23, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »

I think that it's funny that he killed Chewbacca, and defends it as "in order for the story to progress, he needed to die," and yet is unable to kill any characters in the Icewind Dale group.

...He was the one who killed Chewie?  No wonder I had trouble reading that one.  I don't think I've read a Star Wars book released after it.  I'll still read classic Zahn or Anderson, though.

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3311 on: January 24, 2007, 04:48:28 AM »

If you want some really good sci-fi, read Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" & "Endymion" books. Complete set is 4 books and it is great sci-fi, and definate cut above the pulp-fiction gaming books I used to read.

Gabriel

Jester

• Nutcase
  • Experienced Runner
  • I OWN ALL THE TWINKIES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
« Reply #3312 on: January 24, 2007, 04:54:42 AM »

heh, if you want really good fantasy, read Terry Pratchet.
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."    :jester:

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #3313 on: January 24, 2007, 05:01:10 AM »

Chip truth, chummer. He gets better all the time. Of course, he has his crap-books like any other author, but by and large he is damn good. And have you noticed how much relevent social comentary seems to pop up in some of his later books? Vimes in particular is a pretty relevant figure in his works. If I was ever an english teacher, I would make Discworld required reading.

Gabriel

Zone

• Our Lady of Drones
  • Runner
  • Semper Gumby: Always Flexible
« Reply #3314 on: January 24, 2007, 09:56:01 AM »

I cannot read Salvatore - and no matter what his diseased little brain pumped out, chewie ain't dead - sorry but no one but the originator of a character has the right to kill him.  That's my rule and I stand by it.

Pratchet's pretty good, try reading his collaberation with Neil Gaiman (one of my faves) IIRC its called Good Omens.
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 8886 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 23 queries.