Shadowrun Pub

• May 14, 2024, 06:35:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Our meatbots have been missing since '98!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: History  (Read 43075 times)

mercy

• Sixth World Dictionary Troll Edition
  • Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
Re:History
« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2005, 11:23:43 PM »

um I thought this was histrory not magic 101
dicnary we dont need no stinking dictanary

Fortune

• Grumpy Old Shadowrunner
  • Grid Overwatch Division
  • Runner
  • Sensitive New Age Bastard!
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2005, 11:28:22 PM »

Technomancers are now part of the official Shadowrun history. Personally, I think they should just be history, but that's beside the point. :P
Chance favors the prepared mind!

mercy

• Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #332 on: September 20, 2005, 11:34:21 PM »

lol

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2005, 05:40:39 AM »

See, I always thought the Otaku idea sucked big troll balls anyway. Explain to me how someone can manipulate raw telecommunication data with his brain and I'll show you a three-legged dwarf. It makes no sense. The only way you could even approach this is the say that the world's TC net, or matrix, or whatever, is designed along the lines of human thought patterns, thus enabling the rare human to have such an intuitive feeel that he could potentialy manipulate the data with his naked brain. That is STUPID and was already addressed when SR1 became SR2 and the signal carrier went the way of the dodo, corporate ethics, and good governance.

If anyone from FanPro actually reads this BBS, please remember that PEOPLE FRAGGING HATE IT WHEN YOU REVISE HISTORY TO BRING BACK SOMETHING TAHT HAS ALREADY BEEN EDITED OUT!!!!!!! WHY THE FRAG ARE YOU GOING BACK TO 1ST EDITION CONCEPTS IN A 4TH EDITION PRINTING?????? >:( :gabe:

Gabriel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
  • Only the Dead have seen the end of War...
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2005, 09:41:20 AM »

Yea, I was kinda hoping they'd all die out.

-RuskiFace the Pirate

i'll just keep them as NPC status in my games.
No one writes jokes in Base-13
6 X 9 = 42

ROOTless

• Exalt
  • Experienced Runner
  • Reality? Yesterday's news!
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2005, 11:14:52 AM »

Ruski: That really isn't the case. No 'awakened' character can choose another Magic Quiality, but only Technomancers out of all the mundane character options are forbidden to take a Magic Quality.

They're Magic Adepts™ in my game! :P ;D
seconded.
Reality?  That's for people who can't handle hot ASIST!

"I find you lack of grammar...disturbing..."

Retread

• Runner
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2005, 05:40:19 PM »

Umm. The deliberate ability to use a Hacking Pool requires Hot ASIST interface. Under this precept, a flexible mind could manipulate data far better than any "learned" indvidual. Especially given the icon-based nature of the Matrix. Now as for Technomancers, it's pure silliness, as I don't even agree with the WMI in the first place.

Fortune, what's the rationale on the WMI and why the RAS override isn't needed anymore?
"Why do I care? Personally, I think everyone smells a little bit better when their flesh is smouldering..."    ---Dros, Vindictive Fire Mage

Fortune

• Runner
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2005, 12:44:27 AM »

Ruski: That really isn't the case. No 'awakened' character can choose another Magic Quality, but only Technomancers out of all the mundane character options are forbidden to take a Magic Quality.

They're Magic Adepts™ in my game! :P ;D
seconded.

Funny! I meant to type Matrix Adepts. ;D

Fortune

• Runner
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2005, 01:01:23 AM »

Fortune, what's the rationale on the WMI and why the RAS override isn't needed anymore?

I have to admit, a lot of that stuff is beyond me at the moment. I have only skimmed that chapter, but I'll give you a brief synopsys of what I know, and then you can either ask questions or read more on the subject at Dumpshock from people who truly do have a good grasp.

Basically, the WRI (or Wired Matrix Initiative), or Matrix 2.0, is all-pervasive in 2070 society. Think Minority Report on a wide, and sometimes even more invasive scale. The Commlink is the key to everything, being a combination cell phone, computer, camera, recorder, insert-anything-else-electronic-you-can-think-of. It contains your SIN information, and interacts with everything around it (like the retinal scans in Minority Report). You can 'hide' by turning your Commlink to 'hidden' (or even *gasp* 'off', but that attracts attention in certain areas. This is basically called Augmented Reality, or AR

Hackers (and Technomancers) can manipulate this AR, pretty much at will, with only a slight negative modifier to their real world actions. The closest analogy (and pretty much identical rules-wise in SR4) is to compare AR with Astral Perception.

The Astral Perception equivalent, and most familiar to SR3 players, is Virtual Reality, or VR. This is where the hacker 'leaves his body' and 'flies' through the electrons of the system.

Almost everything can be 'hacked' in SR4, including other people's Commlinks, and therefore everything hooked up to them (which is almost everything in 2070, including cyberware).

Anything and everything is 'tagged' with radio frequency 'tags', including clothes, guns. food, medicine, ammo, corp employees, etc, etc. Tags can be tracked! Of course, they can be destroyed, but they can be a nuicance at times, and a blessing at others.

mercy

• Experienced Runner
  • narcojet=night night
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2005, 02:48:50 AM »

now thats down right scary what runner in his right mind is going have one of thoose on a regular bases
or allow it to be link to thier cyber ware and the awaken forget it

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2005, 06:07:42 AM »

Yeah, that sounds pretty damn stupid to me too. Is the comlink cybernetic??

Gbariel
We do not choose this life. We do not enjoy this life. We simply live this life. Because sometimes, even the shadows need their heroes.

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

well, just like in the current shadowrun, you can have a pocket-secertary, or a built in cyberware version of a cellphone with a sub-vocal mike.

and tracking tags RFID or otherwise, are allready out there. I have one in my keychain that unlocks my car IRL, not to menton the GPS identifier in my lo-jack system. cellphones all have them (if you remove them, they stop working)

they have them in the nicer watches so that they detur theft.

taking it one step further, is just a logical conclusion.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Ingo Monk

• SysOp
  • Experienced Runner
  • VOODOO!
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »

So the WMI is basically a sub-plane to the material plane (like the Astral Plane) but it's wholey man-made and electronic?  

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Ruski

• Matrix Pirate
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2005, 09:01:27 AM »

Well, you can only put radios in so many things before they start to talk to each-other.

-RuskiFace the Pirate
6 X 9 = 42

Gabriel

• Ignorant Savage
  • Veteran Runner
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2005, 09:02:37 AM »

See, I never think of it as a plane, just as the matrix overlaid on your other senses. But then, I always wondered why they never explained how AR wroked in Shadowrun. It has ALWAYS been there, what with cyberoptics and smartlinks and things like that. It was just never really explained very well.

Gabriel
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33   Go Up

Bad Behavior has blocked 7695 access attempts in the last 7 days.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 19 queries.